- Servings: Makes 16 slices
|Tablespoons Granulated Sugar|
|Cup Finely Crushed Graham Crackers|
|Ounces Low-fat Ricotta Cheese, 2-¾ cups|
|Cup Granulated Sugar or Sugar Substitute-sugar Blend* Equivalent To 1/2 Cup Sugar|
|Cup Candied Citron, finely chopped|
|Tablespoon Finely Shredded Orange Peel|
|Teaspoon Ground Anise Seeds|
|Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon|
|Teaspoon Cream of Tartar|
|Cup Granulated Sugar or Sugar Substitute-sugar Blend* Equivalent To 1/4 Cup Sugar|
|Maraschino Cherries, coarsely chopped|
|Teaspoon Powdered Sugar|
|Fresh Rosemary Sprigs, optional|
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. For crust: In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the 2 tablespoons sugar. Add crushed graham crackers; mix well. Spread evenly into the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan. Press firmly onto bottom of pan. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack. Wrap bottom and outside of the crust-lined pan with heavy foil. Set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
2. In a very large bowl, whisk together ricotta cheese, egg yolks, the 1/2 cup sugar, the citron, orange peel, anise seeds, vanilla, and cinnamon just until combined. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer on medium speed just until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the 1/4 cup sugar, beating until combined (do not beat to stiff peaks). Fold the beaten egg whites into the ricotta mixture. Gently fold in maraschino cherries.
3. Pour cheese mixture atop crust. Place springform pan in a large roasting pan. Place roasting pan on an oven rack. Pour boiling water around the springform pan to reach halfway up the side of the pan. Bake for 1-1/2 hours.
4. Remove springform pan from roasting pan. Carefully remove foil. Cool cheesecake in springform pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Using a small sharp knife, loosen the cheesecake from the side of the pan; cool for 30 minutes more. Remove the side of the springform pan; cool cheesecake completely on wire rack. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours before serving. Sprinkle top with the powdered sugar just before serving. If desired, garnish with fresh rosemary. Makes 16 slices.
*Sugar Substitutes:Choose Equal® Sugar Lite. Follow package directions to use product amounts equivalent to 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup sugar.
PER SERVING WITH SUBSTITUTE: same as above, except 164 cal., 18 g carbo. Exchanges: 1 other carbo. Carb choices: 1
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Servings: 16 slices
Total Fat (g) 7
Saturated Fat (g) 4
Cholesterol (mg) 122
Sodium (mg) 169
Carbohydrate (g) 23
Fiber (g) 1
Protein (g) 8